Charlotte Property Manager

Charlotte Property Manager
Charlotte's Income Property Experts

Friday, June 7, 2013

Charlotte Property Management Tips - Should I rent or sell my home in Charlotte?

This is a question many homeowners continue to ask.  If you've been paying attention to the national press you might think that housing prices are increasing significantly and that it is a seller's market. However, this is not necessarily the case in the Charlotte region.

Some neighborhoods are seeing a resurgence in prices, but most neighborhoods still aren't experiencing prices near the highs hit in 2006-2007. In fact, a significant percentage of our new rental property clients are folks who have tried to sell but simply can't get the price they need in this market and therefore, they now want to rent their home. (The good news for them is that we're getting homes rented very quickly and rental rates continue to increase).

I believe Charlotte will lag the rest of the country in terms of the percentage increase in pricing. There are several reasons for this, not the least of which is that Charlotte entered the housing crisis after many other parts of the country and the Charlotte bubble wasn't nearly as large (particularly compared to Florida, Nevada and California).

"Charlotte foreclosure sales jump 45% in Q1 2013"
So reads the headline of a recent newspaper article. Although sales of foreclosed homes declined nationally in the first quarter of 2013 (vs Q1 2012), they rose significantly in Charlotte. In fact, foreclosure sales represented more than one in five sales in Charlotte in Q1. I expect this trend to continue into 2014 as banks try to monetize the inventory they have on hand.

Additionally, as prices increase, many reluctant landlords (those renting their homes that would rather sell them) will opportunistically list their homes. This will continue the downward pressure on prices.

So for many homeowners, becoming a landlord will be a better alternative than selling. How do you know which is right for you? First, get a realistic idea of sales price. You can't look at what others are asking for their homes. You must look at the sales prices of other homes in your neighborhood during the past six months or so. If nothing has sold in your neighborhood recently, it may be a good indication that the market just isn't there yet. Remember to take about 10% off the sales price to cover Realtor commissions, legal fees, taxes, etc.

Next, find out how much rent you can expect from your home. The best way to do this is contact a qualified property manager (preferably a member of the National Association of Residential Property Managers-NARPM). Factor in the monthly management fees, repair costs, vacancy costs, etc, and see if there is enough money left over to allow you to make the monthly mortgage payment. You should ensure you have enough funds to cover 3-6 months of payments with no rent income. If you don't have the money (or the credit capacity) to do so, don't even think about renting your home.

Finally, if you decide to rent, hire a qualified property manager. There are too many reasons to discuss them all here, but one mistake on your part can wipe out any income that you have collected from your tenant. We regularly take over management of homes from homeowners who have gotten themselves into a huge mess with their tenants and need us to clean it up. Unfortunately, by the time the owner calls us they've typically already lost thousands of dollars in rent!

To review:

  • Determine a realistic sales price, deduct 10% and see if you can live with a sale.
  • Determine realistic rent rates, deduct 10% -15%, and see if you can afford the house payments.
  • If you decide to rent, hire a qualified property manager who is preferably a member of NARPM. 




31 comments:

  1. Nice post. Here is my suggestion to rental property management in india. It's may be helpful for to buy sell and rent property in india.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to see your blog as it is just what I’ve looking for and excited to read all the posts. I am looking forward to another great article from you.
    arizona property management

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very helpful tips that you provide. Thanks for this article

    Chiang mai property

    ReplyDelete
  4. Additionally, as prices increase, many reluctant landlords (those renting their homes that would rather sell them) will opportunistically list their homes. This will continue the downward pressure on prices. Ben Cass , Benjamin Cass

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to find a property management business. I would love to get some help with renting my home. I think that I made the decision to rent rather than sell. I have never done this before, so I need to know how to begin the process. http://www.acpm1.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea that an individual agent gets assigned to each property or group of close-by properties. It's easier to service the locations that way. I mean, each company has its way of managing. I'm not a manager or anything, I just think that sounds like a good idea. http://www.bluefrogpropertymanagement.com/appleton-property-management

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm still going to go with renting out my house after reading this. Do I need to get a city permit before I can make money from my tenant? I think the last apartment I lived in had a permit of some sort. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything legally.
    Jenn | http://www.sunworldgroup.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there,

    I like the idea that an individual agent gets assigned to each land or group of close-by properties. It's easier to service the locations that way. I think I'm still going to go with renting out my residence after reading this. Do I need to get a city consent before I can make money from my tenant?
    charlotte property management
    charlotte property manager

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my friends has been trying to decide whether or not to sell her home. I wonder if she has considered renting out her house? If she decides to be a landlord, she should definitely hire a good property management company.

    Susan Hirst | http://www.spectrumpropertymanagement.com/provo-utah/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dealing with buying and selling properties can be really difficult if you try to do everything alone. I think it's important to find a company that can help you with this process. Any time you have a chance to make a job easier, it's smart to take it. Especially if you can still make good money off of it.
    http://www.zacherco.com/services/property-management

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with the article. It's true that you have to make sure you understand the importance of having a property management as an option. First, try to identify your needs, and discuss them with your partners. Find out if you have all the resources you need to succeed in this business. It's always smart to conduct a research to figure it out what's best for you and your business.
    http://www.superiorpmgt.net/Services.php

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your blog. It's nice information about Charlotte Property Management. Thanks for sharing.Frontaide offers Property management system. It's a web based software.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think right now I would lean a bit more towards renting my home out to someone. Like you said, the prices are a little low at the moment, so I think I could get a little bit more bang for my buck if I were to rent my place. The idea of keeping with tenants and a home I don't live at anymore does seem a bit stressful though. I suppose we'll see what happens over time.

    http://www.kgpropertymanagement.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. My parents have a home that they are planning on moving out of this summer. They would like to rent it out for a while before they sell I think. I wonder if they have looked into getting some help through a property management company. http://www.resteasyproperty.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it would be cool to work at a property management company. There are so many apartments in the place where I live. We live in a college town so there are a lot of students needing to rent a place. I wonder who manages all the buildings in my city. http://clarkrealtysa.com/the-right-property-management-san-antonio-tx-company/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bob, I really like your final tip. If you decide to rent, hire a qualified property manager. This can help save you some headache, and relieves you of stress each day. http://www.priorityoneproperties.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is very good post, very enlightening. I’ve learned so many things from your post, I really love that. fort pierce real estate

    ReplyDelete
  18. My sister owns some property that she rents out and she tells me all the time how it is not the easiest thing to do. She has even started looking into getting property management services to help her out. This is something that could really help her out.
    http://www.propertywithtlc.com/property-management

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am looking for some property management tips. I am trying to decide if I should sell or rent my home. I want to make sure that I make the right decision so I am making sure that I am making the right choice. This article gave me some great insight and tips. I feel like I know what I need to do now. http://www.sandiegopropertymanagement.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am looking for some property management tips. I am trying to decide if I should sell or rent my home. I want to make sure that I make the right decision so I am making sure that I am making the right choice. This article gave me some great insight and tips. I feel like I know what I need to do now. http://www.sandiegopropertymanagement.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am looking for some property management tips. I am trying to decide if I should sell or rent my home. I want to make sure that I make the right decision so I am making sure that I am making the right choice. This article gave me some great insight and tips. I feel like I know what I need to do now. http://www.sandiegopropertymanagement.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really nice information you share this. I definitely thinking about this blog. i also reading madison management

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is really very useful post that provides right guide line about Property Management, thanks for sharing our useful knowledge with us.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So does this mean that now would not be a good time to sell? We found a great price in another state and want to get rid of our house. In a worst case scenario, I would just put it up for rental. http://newbernforrent.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Definitely think that finding a house to rent is always a good solution, but that's just me. The best option I think that people forget about is renting to own, that could really be awesome. I think that testing out things, including your home, is always the best solution for any type of big buys! http://www.spectrumpropertymanagement.com/provo-utah/

    ReplyDelete
  26. The blog really assists me much and it’s been a week that I’ve been searching on this topic. Thanks anyway for sharing my favorite information. http://leasingsd.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is very nice post for property management i really like this post and its information is really very good and useful for the users.

    http://www.propertyboulevard.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. this is very informational post about property management

    Oxford realty

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice information mention in this post its all information is really great and helpful.

    Property Management Software

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi fellas,
    Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
    If someone want to read more about the best property management agents I think this is the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete