Charlotte Property Manager

Charlotte Property Manager
Charlotte's Income Property Experts

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

How long does it take to evict a tenant in North Carolina?

Evictions. Nobody likes to talk about them and any landlord  has a horror story to tell. Unfortunately, evictions are a necessary practice in property management but they shouldn't become an emotional event for the landlord. I'll discuss the right way to handle evictions towards the end of this post, but first I'll go over the eviction process and timeline in North Carolina (and specifically the Charlotte area).

(For 2014 Updates to this article, view our blog at http:alarca.com/blog)

Assume rent is due on the 1st of the month, is late on the 6th and the tenant hasn't paid.
  1. Landlord sends a demand for payment letter to the tenant, giving the tenant notice that they have 10 days to pay or eviction will be filed. This step can be skipped if your lease includes a clause that waives the 10 day notice period. Many leases do NOT waive notice (Alarca's lease waives notice).
  2. File eviction at the county courthouse once the proper period has elapsed. Filing fees vary by county and also depend upon the number of tenants on the lease. In Mecklenburg County, NC the filing fees are roughly $160 for two tenants. 
  3. Once filed a court date is set. In Mecklenburg County this is typically 3-4 weeks from the filing date.
  4. Attend court and receive a judgment if you win. 
  5. The tenants have 10 days to file an appeal. 
  6. If an appeal is NOT filed and the home is still occupied, you must file a Writ of Possession. This is the document that grants possession of the home and tells the Sheriff that you want to change the locks on the home. 
  7. Once the locks are changed the tenants have another 10 days to retrieve their items (this will become 5 days on October 1, 2012). The tenants' items must not be disposed of during this 10 day period. 
  8. If an appeal is filed after step 5 above, a new court date will be set. This is typically 30 days or so after the appeal is filed. The tenants are supposed to post rent with the court during this time period.
  9. The appeal is held in District Court and an attorney must be hired if the owner of the home is a corporation or LLC. 
So, that's the process in a nutshell. There are a lot of little things that can happen during this timeframe. Most landlords lose their cases due to insufficient documentation, improper filing, insufficient notice, etc. Also, some landlords feel that if the tenant isn't paying rent, the landlord isn't going to make repairs. This is a big mistake and another reason that landlords may not only lose their case, but may end up owing the tenant money for damages!

So what's the right way to handle all of this? First and foremost, treat the tenants with respect and understanding. Your tenant is likely already going through a tough period and there is no reason to make things worse. It is very helpful to have a written policy that is consistently applied across all situations and with all tenants. This should be communicated to the tenant at lease signing and reinforced every time rent is late. For example, Alarca files evictions on the 11th of every month on every tenant who hasn't paid.

Ensure that the property is maintained in accordance with all local code requirements and that the landlord is following all of the rules regarding notice, acceptance of rent, etc. Your best bet is to hire a competent attorney and property manager to handle the management of the home during this crucial period. You can attend court anytime and see time after time where misinformed landlords lose their case due to technical mistakes they've made in the filing process. Why put yourself through this when Alarca can handle this for you? In the vast majority of evictions we file, we are able to work with the tenants to get them back on track. 


27 comments:

  1. I read this whole post regarding practice in property management. I really appreciate this post because its very useful for landlords and some people who are stay on rent.
    Property Management Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a quick question for you. I am currently in the process of moving out of my apartment in High Point NC. My lease expired yesterday but I agreed to pay for 16 days and move out on the 16th to fulfill the requirement of giving 60 days written notice. Today while I was at work my girlfriend got a notice on the door at 2:30 pm stating that due to my renters insurance expiring with my lease if I did not buy another term they would begin eviction proceedings against me. I really don't know what to do. I am moving out anyway and I have never been late with my rent. I have also never caused any issue or had any issue with my apartments. Do you have any advice for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should also add that the employee of the complex told me that I had until tomorrow to fulfill the renters insurance before they began eviction proceedings. This was the first I had been informed. So the day before it was needed they tell me.

      Delete
  3. What can a landlord do when you threaten him. Well, we didn't actually threaten hiim in so many words but we did threaten our previous landlords. Anyway, the current landlord knows about it and is evicting us based on that I believe because we've paid our rent. Can a landlord evict because you make threats to him or to others? Joshnmel Spurgeon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Update: as of October 2013, the tenant now has 7 days to retrieve their personal items after a lockout. (Not the 5 days indicated in the original blog). If the tenant has abandoned the home and has left anything that may be perceived to have a value, but you don't have a letter from them stating that they've left, the only safe way to proceed is to file eviction and have the Sheriff meet you to change the locks. Whatever you do, don't just take their belongings and put them at the curb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These guys are great! We will definitely use them again, the next time we need to do a commercial retail eviction. eviction delay california

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the process if an individual has moved into an empty house either on their own or they think they were renting it legally? Home owner has been paying taxes and mortgage and maintaining the yard in preparation to lease or rent the house?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comes up from time to time and is usually after someone has been living in the home under an oral lease (just an agreement as to how much rent to pay). Often the quickest and easiest way to proceed is to first send a termination notice in writing to the tenant giving at least a seven day notice prior to the end of a month. You may then file eviction at the beginning of the next month.
    If it is someone who moved into an empty house, the first step is to discover their name so you may then terminate the "lease" and then file the appropriate paperwork.
    It is very important to make sure that you document all notices in writing (it would be helpful to have someone go with you anytime you visit the property). You need to follow the appropriate steps and have the appropriate documentation to make sure you win in court. You may also want to bring some type of documentation to court proving that you are, in fact, the owner of the home.
    There are other ways to proceed in a case where someone unknown has moved in, but I believe this to be the most efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, remember that I am not an attorney and this should not be construed as legal advice. I'm simply providing you with information as to how I've seen this handled in the past. You should consult an eviction attorney or professional property manager (who will contact their attorney), to help you through this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My lease expires at the end of the month. I will not be able to move until midway the following month.

    What options do I have?

    ReplyDelete
  10. After reading this post I was actually feeling quite light. This is very useful for the property owners who want to get their tenants out of their properties.
    Visit: eviction process

    ReplyDelete
  11. In need of help:
    My wife and I own a home in NC and moved recently to FL for work. We did a 1 year lease agreement with our neighbors daughter with 2 kids. We found out from other neighbors that she has converted the home into a boarding home and is in violation of the zoning codes for a single family home. The lease states nobody is allowed to live at the home besides those on the lease. When we asked her to tell the other people to go she said she couldn't unless she gives them a 30 day notice. When she spoke to the zoning manager she told him they were just guest. What can I do and how many days do I need to give her before filling for an eviction since she violated the lease?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Samuel: I feel your pain. We come across these situations more often than you can imagine. Please remember that I'm not an attorney and this should not be construed as legal advice.
    The first thing you need to do is review the lease and determine what courses of action you may take. If your tenant is paying rent on time, you should provide notice to her, in writing, that she is in Default of her Lease (state the reason) and give her X days to cure the default (the number of days would be included in a good lease). Then if it isn't cured within the proper time period, you may file eviction for default. The hard part about filing for additional occupants is that you'll have to somehow prove they are living there and not simply guests. If you have something in writing from her telling you that she has to give them 30 days notice to leave, you should bring this to court as evidence that they are more than just guests. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello -
    We are renting a home in Mooresville that has a well, We recently realized that the well is supplying FOUR other homes, This means everytime the pump is activated WE are paying for the electricity as it is running on our bill.
    After some limited research I found that an average 1hp well pump costs about 6.25 per month..Times FOUR other homes that is an additional 25.00 per month..I do not know how others are using the water it could be more or less..
    I do not wish to anger the landlord and risk eviction I just think it is unfair that we are paying for other peoples water use.

    How do I approach this situation with the landlord? Or should I approach the neighbors about it? What recourse do we have?
    Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very good post, very enlightening. I’ve learned so many things from your post, I really love that. fort pierce real estate

    ReplyDelete
  15. How long does a landlord have to evict us if there's no contract/lease? Paying rent is not the issue. I believe he's just mad b/c we're calling to his attention issues that must be addressed and he's too cheap to get it fixed. We also have to come out of pocket to get the place checked for asbestos/mold. We've been there for almost 18yrs w/no lease. Just good faith and good neighbors (up until now).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a problem. Right now I am looking for a new place but my landlord is on me about the rent. Here is the thing I have been a good tenant up until the last few months. We have had some issues with the place that has been brought to the landlord attention. We have black mold underneath the sink, kitchen sink needs some plumbing work, we have no ac in the place, also in the hall way bathroom the toilet is messed up. I am sure there is more things that need to be fixed for the fact that the amount of time I have been here there has been no maintenance done to the place at all. I am wondering what should I do? In like the middle of august I'm going to be moving out anyways so should I contact someone? Should I pay the rent? Should I withhold it? I offered to get things fixed since he doesn't live in the state if he waived the rent but he said no he would take care of it and hasn't. I'm wondering what should I do here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I should add I am not on any lease either too.

      Delete
  17. Great and informative post. thank you for sharing this information with us.
    Charlotte NC apartments

    ReplyDelete
  18. A fire happened outside of our house and we're trying to be charged the damages. it was a day after july 4th and we think a roman candle may of sparked some rubbish we had laying in our front yard waiting it to be picked up. our lease only states we're responsible for damages inside the house. I was just wondering what recourse we have!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So if evicted do i have to be moved out on the tenth day or do i have to be out on the 11th day?

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had an rent with option to purchase. The tenants sent me a email indicating they would be moving in thirty days and they offered an unreasonable amount for the property. I declined the offer and told them the offer to purchase was 45-days from the expiration of the lease. I was told they moved out on October 14th. I believe these were investors hoping to get the property at a cheaper price. What should I do about obtaining the property and is there any recourse for the remaining 6 months

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like your post. This post really awesome and very helpful to me. Please keep posting good contents. Thank you. Visit: Furnished apartments charlotte NC

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been living in duplex for four years and the home next door eas just sold and exterminated now i have bedbugs who's responsible? Me or landlord?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have a question. I had surgery last year and is still out on medical leave and my rent got behind waiting on the 3 months waiting period for my LTD from work well to make a long store short, I lose my job being I wasn't healed completely and now I have a lawyer for my SSI case and my landlord said that he will wait until the case is ruled and now he is evicting me can I appeal because I have no money to move with or anything??

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tenant eviction legal services
    You may be guilty of harassing or illegally evicting your tenants if you don't follow the correct tenant eviction procedures. If you want free tenant eviction legal advice or help then call us today or chat online to get a free advice.

    ReplyDelete